jeudi 28 mars 2013

Josquin des Prez (en anglais)



Josquin des Prez
For Apolonia

Lips incapable of uttering any phrase in vain!...
Perhaps, tonight, Lord, I won’t pray
But instead I will surrender my entire being so that
My soul will sink into ineffable thoughts
And my heart will be supremely
Attentive to the darkness.

Sustained by the plenteous and generous grain stores of night,
I will listen to the sublime mystical music of Josquin des Prez!

And my body, which has never known how to weigh the gravity
Of the blood which beats in my veins,
Will feel so light as the joyous sylphs of the notes carry it
Towards that indefinable quality, irrevocable, refined, involuntary, divine
Beneath the silken swaying of the scented veils of night.


Translated from the French of Athanase Vantchev de Thracy by Norton Hodges

Aucun commentaire: